Tuesday 21 July 2009

And i give you .....

OSM rendering in Marble!

Oh yes, that's right! We now have full OSM rendering. It has been quite a struggle to get to this point but the hard work has really paid off. The results are just beautiful! I'm not just braging about my own code, because as it happens there is a lot of work to do to get the OSM rendering in a pretty way, but instead I'm talking about the experience of loading an OSM file. It looks marvellous! See the video below and notice how precise the positioning of the lines and nodes are with respect to the underlying OSM tiles ( I know this is obvious but it just looks so synchronised! ).

I don't know about you guys but seeing that map rendering, where the data has been collected and modified with a lot of hard work from a lot of people, really gives me a sense of grandeur. Fair play to all the people in Open Street Map, my hat is really off to you guys ;)



Link for those reading this on the planet.

No comments: